About

The humble musings and adventures of our family

Well, we made it...

This truck was filled to the brim with our things from the house


We picked the truck up on Thursday, and Brian loaded most of the boxes that went into the storage unit here. Thursday night, my adviser had a going away party for us. Friday morning, Brian and his dad got to work loading the truck with everything. I left at 4 to pick Juliana up from school and head to Harrisonburg, while Brian and his dad worked on the garage. Thursday it rained, and Friday it snowed.

We had a fun quick trip to Lolli and Pop's house.
Juliana loved trying on Lolli and Pop's shoes. Their closets were her shoe store.

She enjoyed trying on Lolli's reading glasses.

Saturday morning, Brian and his Dad and stepmom left super early in the morning from PA in the snow and ice. We left a little later in the morning. We arrived at the apartment at 2pm, Brian and crew arrived around 2:30. We spent the afternoon unloading boxes and furniture into the apartment. We finally finished around 6 pm, and headed out to dinner. Lolli and Pop got to have a sleep over with Juliana at a hotel, and we tried to get warm on our first night! There was a cold snap that weekend, and we joked that we brought it with us.

Sunday, we spent 1:00pm-4:00pm unloading the rest of the things from the truck into the storage unit. Everyone left shortly afterwards, and we tried to get settled.

Monday and Tuesday we took the time to do shopping (curtains, command damage free hooks for towels and hair dryer, groceries, etc), and get adjusted to the new place. 

Juliana has enjoyed the movie time with Dad.


She was especially thrilled with the little playground on the property.

Things that we like:
I enjoy the huge, tall ceilings, the large windows with lots of light, the large bedrooms, and huge bathrooms. 

Things that we're getting used to:
At our house, we had lots of separate living spaces so it made life a little less frustrating for us and Juliana because we each had our own space. Now, it's all kind of together so we're saying no more often, and the tantrums are pretty epic. We also had a few weeks before we left where bedtime had moved to 9pm or later, and the last few days we've worked hard to get back to a bedtime between 8 and 8:30 pm, and I think she's doing much much better with it.

A lot of my worries have been alleviated, but I've also had many emotional ups and downs the last few days. Juliana started her new day care today, and as far as we can tell, she had a great day. We went to visit the school with her yesterday, and I was worrying that they were going to put her in the young 2 year old classroom, when she's ready for the preschool 3/4 year old room. The main reason for putting her in the other room was the fact that she's not potty trained yet and they don't have a diaper changing place in the preschool room. Brian and I just knew that it wouldn't last for more than a day, but that didn't change me worrying about it all night. I was worrying about Juliana feeling overwhelmed and not knowing where a safe space was, or feeling sad to not have the familiar faces from the PA day care, etc. But this morning, she woke up, was very excited to go to school, and there was no real issue when it came time for me to leave. And she was moved to the 3/4 year old room. Although they are working on her potty training, and apparently her teacher put her on the potty when she didn't want to (according to Juliana this evening).

Juliana has gotten an early lesson in race when she made the observation that her teacher from PA and her new teacher in NC had the same name but one had a "clean face" and the other has a "dirty face." I told her that it was better to say one had white skin and one had brown skin but it didn't mean that she was dirty. I sure hope I handled that correctly! What an innocent observation!

Everything else is working itself out, so that's good. Mostly I feel emotionally exhausted and I'm trying to figure out what it is that I need to do in order to feel recharged and ready to be settled into this new lifestyle. We have been working on eating much better (versus all the eating out we were doing the few weeks before we moved), and next week I want to get back into an exercise routine to try and boost my energy and mood a bit more. Baby seems to be fine, still active, we go to the doctor next week. I have been having some cramping, and I think it's round ligament related because it's always in the same place and on the left side, which I attribute to carrying Juliana on my right or holding and moving boxes on my right. I think doing this pushes everything towards the left and stretches out the ligament a little bit, but we will see.

Anyway, love from NC! Now we just have to get our house sold!!




No comments:

Post a Comment