About

The humble musings and adventures of our family

Happy New Year!

Over the holidays, we have been extremely busy, so here's a brief (I hope) update:

1) I passed my proposal defense with "flying colors." My committee seemed very impressed by the research I was proposing to accomplish en route to complete my PhD, and at times felt that perhaps I was suggesting to do too much. However, I'd rather have too much planned than too little. So this means that I am officially a "candidate for the doctorate degree." In other degree programs, this essentially means that I've passed my qualifying exam. No this doesn't mean that I have any more of an idea when I'll be graduating, but I do think it is somewhat reasonable to assume that it will be 2 years from now. At least I told my committee that I'm shooting for May 2014. Really, I'm shooting for defending my dissertation late fall of 2013, then using the spring semester to tie up loose ends (publish papers, finish up research projects, etc) so I can walk at graduation in May.

2) We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday at my grandparents with the rest of my family. It always seems that it takes forever for Christmas to get here, but then it's over in the blink of an eye! But what more could one ask for than spending time with family, friends, surrounded by good food, conversation, and games? We are blessed beyond comprehension. One of the most special gifts we received was actually for the baby; a quilt made by my mom. I was secretly hoping she would make a crib quilt for the baby, but didn't want to ask, knowing how much time is involved in order to make one, and it was absolutely perfect!

Another favorite was this onesie:


3) After Christmas, my family headed up to our house to help us get a kick start on demolishing our basement and rebuilding it. Their help was so welcome, and I don't think we can ever repay the "mental" help they offered with the project. I learned that the best way I can help, when I don't have a specific job or know what's next, is to keep things cleaned up, picked up, and organized. I think Brian might want me to go with him to work now to do the same thing? haha. We made HUGE progress. By the time Mom, Dad, & Caitlin left, we had ripped out all the 70's paneling, and framed, insulated, and vapor barrier-ed 2 of the 4 walls. This even involved installing a new, steel entry door from the garage into the house.


4) Although Pitt started back on Wednesday this past week, since I am finished with all coursework (with the exception of about 14 research credits), I spent the week trying to get back in order and ready for school to begin again. I had my typical "meltdown" the day my family left. I was upset because they were leaving, even though I knew they had to go, I was exhausted, and I really didn't want to go back to school for yet another semester. I think school was the main reason for the meltdown, and Brian will certainly attest that this is a normal occurrence after being off for a certain amount of time. But to have this be the first meltdown since before we found out I was pregnant, I still maintain that I have been 100% less moody than I ever was before. (This is not normal, people. So don't expect this to happen to you, haha)

5) This week, I've been so impressed by Brian. Every single day, with the exception of Friday, either when he got home from work, or after dinner and watching TV for a bit, we went to the basement and tackled another project. I've enjoyed working together on the project, but I attribute the desire to keep working on things to the immense help my parents provided to get the ball rolling. It's so exciting to see it all coming together, and imagine what the finished project will look like! Plus, it's a huge relief to rip out the poor quality construction job the previous owners did, and make it the way it should be.

6) On the baby front, I believe we've selected a day care center which will allow us to have the baby there M, Tu, W starting in the fall so I can get a couple of good days of experimenting in a week. We met with the pediatrician during an open "Baby Basics" class, and we both really like him, and the philosophy of the practice. It's incredible what resources are available to parents nowadays! Not only while at the hospital for the birth, but also once we go home. I plan on taking part in every expert, meeting, class, possible (and reasonable)!

7) The baby is extremely active, with movements definitely kicking up a notch or two. According to the book/website this is due to bone hardening from the initial cartilage. I've officially entered into my third trimester, with beginning the 7th month, and it's hard to believe how quickly March 30th will be here! And then on the other hand, it does seem like it's far away... Once I look at our jam-packed calendar for weekend activities though, I quickly realize that we have lots to do before baby comes. It will all happen, though, and I am not worried about it. I am still feeling great. Beginning to get a bit uncomfortable sometimes as the baby moves to put pressure on organs, like my bladder, or after lying down for awhile as my stomach stretches due to gravity orienting the baby to a weird position. We head to the doctor Thursday, where I will most likely find out if I tested positive in the glucose test I took last week, a pre-screen test for gestational diabetes (this is normal). Then, we will begin going to the doctor every two weeks!

I keep meaning to take an updated "bump" picture, but, things keep getting in the way! I will do my best to get an updated picture posted soon. Everyone keeps telling me that it is a "little" bump, even though I know I'm measuring in right on schedule. I am beginning to get a bit nervous about how much bigger baby and I will get, not because of weight, but because the increased pressure might result in unpleasant side effects (heart burn, difficulty sleeping, etc), that I have yet to experience... We'll cross that bridge when we get there though!

No comments:

Post a Comment