About

The humble musings and adventures of our family

Juliana's first haircut

The week of Thanksgiving, the girls and I stayed in Harrisonburg since it would get us half price on day care for the week, and why not? As my "career" progresses, I doubt I'll be able to take a full week off and spend time with family. I was surprised with an early Christmas present to get my hair cut and highlighted (I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit the last time I had a haircut/highlights- over a year ago), and we took Juliana to get her first haircut.

A few months ago, Juliana had been insistent on wanting to get her haircut but it was something I just never quite found the time to schedule. She would pretend with her friend's at school that she was getting her haircut, and begged me every time we passed a salon if she could go there and get her haircut. Then she wanted to know if I would cut her hair like Daddy's (we purchased a trimmer set so I can cut his hair once a month or more, again to cut down on expenses), which I said wouldn't quite be appropriate for her first haircut (yes, my bias for what I think a little girl should look like.... If she was more persistent about it, I probably would've thought about it more versus quickly shutting that option down). Then, she decided she didn't want to get her hair cut at all because she wanted to grow it long, all the way down to her feet like Rapunzel. So, our sweet family friend and hairdresser gave Juliana the "Rapunzel trim" (and yes, that's what Juliana still calls it when she tells people about it :-) I was very impressed with her sitting still in the chair, and she stuck around with Dad for at least 30 minutes after to see me get my highlights. 

Her bangs still have a tendency to get into her face, and drive Henley crazy when Juliana bends over her to talk to her and hair goes everywhere. Juliana just refuses to wear a pony tail or headband or clip unless it's on her terms. And then when she does want to wear it, it's for a very short period of time, and mostly she wants to be able to do it herself. At least there's no argument for wearing a pony tail for ballet class. I've started asking her if when she turns 4 will she start wearing her hair "pretty" (this girl is all about the princesses) and out of her face so we can see her pretty eyes, to which she responds yes, but we will see... :-)




Just for comparison, I'm pretty sure at age 3 my hair was very thick and to my waist... Although I was a little less high-energy compared to Juliana :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment